Sunday, November 21, 2010

At the Hospital

The birth story, condensed version:

Friday, November 19, 2010
7 a.m. Arrive at hospital for induction.
8 a.m. Continue to wait for a room due to staffing issues.
9 a.m. Admitted to room.
9:30 a.m. Pitocin started (I was already 5 cm dilated when I arrived and having mild contractions so I like to think this was the intended birth day.)
10:30 a.m. Water is broken.
11:00 a.m. Request epidural as labor progresses rapidly.
11:30 a.m. Good nurse replaced by nice but incompetent nurse. Anesthesiologist busy.
12:00 p.m. Epidural finally given.
12:20 p.m. Becomes evident that epidural was a total miss. Curse anesthesiologist.
12:25 p.m. Screaming and yelling ensue. Pushing necessary. Everyone frantically gets the room ready for delivery.
12:25-12:35 p.m. Worst. Pain. Ever. (SO glad it was so fast.)

12:35 p.m. Baby boy arrives:








We had a really hard time deciding on a name for this baby. We had been telling everyone for the past few months that the name would probably be Sam. And that was true. We had that name picked out when I was pregnant with Amelia and couldn't really think of anything we liked better. But about a week ago we started considering Oliver and after a lot of back and forth, we decided to go with Oliver.

However, Amelia and Elsa weren't too excited to switch to Oliver. They were pretty set on Sam. Amelia still tells us she prefers Sam. Elsa mostly calls him baby brother.

The girls were so excited to come to the hospital Friday evening and meet their new brother. They were all smiles as they walked into the room and immediately wanted to hold him. They gave him lots of kisses and then eventually became fascinated with all the gadgets in the hospital room and spent the rest of the time playing in the closet and moving the hospital bed.

We had been surprised that Amelia hadn't asked yet how the baby was going to come out. While she was holding him she said "Oh mom! I forgot to ask you something...how did the baby get out of your tummy?" Hmmm...pushing. Lots of pushing.















Grandma Olsen meets Oliver:










17 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, I feel your pain...literally. I was also induced with pitocin and I waited too long to get my epidural so it didn't kick in until after our little boy came out. You're a strong woman! He is so handsome and I think he looks like Amelia. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the pics. Funny how when the girls hold him, he looks giant, but when the grown ups do, not so much. And I love the name and he is adorable...you can sure tell he is a Black-I already see his sisters in him:) Can't wait to meet him!!!

    Oh and what an experience-guess that was maybe meant to be his birthday after all...or that was pretty strong pitocin:) What a woman you are:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man,

    I lost my phone (again). I trust you tried to call me. Congrats to all. I like the name. You guys have a beautiful brood.

    Man

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and you are coming up with the name for the next Martin child as I love the ones you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good looking baby! I love how in some of those pictures he looks like he's smiling. Congratulations, Black family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks like a good mix of both of you I think. Your kids look so cute together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations guys!! Way to go Sarah on the (unintentional) natural birth.

    When I had Eli I felt the contractions perfectly, but not the actual birth. But the worst part was when this ginormous nurse put all her weight into the first fundle pressure after he was born. I screamed and tried to push her off. I'm still traumatized!

    I love the name Oliver. And he is so cute. I love that he looks like he is smiling in the first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is so handsome! I had the same name story. We told my kids his name was going to be something and they were dead set on it. It took Tray 4 days before he finally started using the correct name. And your mom looks beautiful in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He looks like he came out smiling! So cute. Wishing you lots of good rest to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh. that is a precious babe. and looks EXACTLY like his sisters! congrats on making it through the epidural-less ordeal. you are a champ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ben and Oliver have the same haircut. That's how I could tell he was yours.

    Once again, so happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your recovery is much better. My natural births were more painful, but had much better recovery's. He is very handsome and looks just like the girls...thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Blacks!! What a darling little man & perfect name. Love it. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is so, so cute! (Emma would be mad if I used that, so I'll amend it to he's so handsome! - cute apparently is just for girls) Oh my gosh! He just looks happy to be here. I swear he's smiling in that third picture. I love it! I'm so happy for you guys.

    Emma has been fascinated with the whole "how did the baby get in there?" and "how is the baby going to get out?" stuff. As far as how the baby got in there, after she no longer accepted that Heavenly Father let us have him, I said, "that Dad gave me some stuff and I used some of my stuff and we put in my tummy and it made a baby. That is why our kids look like us, because we both gave some stuff to make them."
    When she wanted specifics of how the baby came out, I finally said, "Mommy has a special hole on her bottom that will get big enough for me to push the baby out." Emma thought about it for awhile and then said, "I don't have one of those." And yesterday, she uncharacteristically followed me into the bathroom and asked, "So is the hole still closed up nice and tight?" I'm so worried she's sharing all my answers with her class at school. What are you going to do?

    ReplyDelete
  15. So I had a gymnastics coach named Sam. How did his parents decide upon his name? They didn't, his brothers did. You see after he was born, people would call the house asking about the new baby... or they would run into the older boys at the park or in the neighborhood. By the time mother and baby got home from the hospital, the brothers had told everyone they liked, that his name was Sam, and since that is what everyone thought his name was...it stuck. Watch out, your girls may get their little brother Sam yet...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations!!! He is so cute!! We miss you guys! Tell your girls hi from us.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...