Wednesday, May 2, 2012

saturday outing: inside the hirshhorn

I love the Hirshhorn Art Museum. It's a perfect size (we can see the whole museum with the kids without wearing out), has an easy-to-follow layout, and great exhibits.

The kids were so curious about all the different works of art. I love that they get to experience so many things like this, and for free! Amelia was drawn to the paintings (and declared that some of the modern art looked like it could have been done by children). I already raved about Doug Aitken's Song 1 exhibit here. But there are so many awesome exhibits happening inside the Hirshhorn too.

Like Suprasensorial: Experiments in Light, Color, and Space. This exhibit is fantastic. We were excited the second the elevator doors opened and everything was blue. We all had so much fun experiencing light and color throughout the exhibit. The girls were absolutely giddy about the blue strings you could walk through. And Oliver was incredibly happy to wander (without shoes) through the white rooms and see the colors change.






















The extremely realistic giant hiding in the corner was alarming. Elsa was completely scared of him but tried to fake enjoyment for the photo.
Another favorite exhibit was "O.K.," a video installation by Ali Kazma. Seven channels of synchronized video, running on an endless loop, of a notary stamping hundreds of documents at a crazy fast speed. I can't explain how mesmerizing these videos were. Nobody could take their eyes off the screens. (Except Oliver who was put to sleep by the rhythm of the stamping.) You can see a YouTube video of it here.

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the other day how tainted I have become having lived in DC with all free museums. I hate to pay to go see something now. Lucky lucky you still live there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really are lucky to have so many free options. But you get the good produce :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...