We ventured downtown Saturday morning for a little shopping and eating. I made my quarterly visit to Zara to scan the sale racks and Ben updated his wardrobe at H&M. We were on our way to get lunch and ran into the
Old Post Office Tower. I can't believe we have lived here for 7 years and just discovered this place. It's a fantastic old building and you can take a free tour to the observation deck in the tower. So while mobs of sweaty tourists are waiting in line to get to the top of the claustrophobia-inducing Washington Monument to peak out of tiny windows, you can head straight to the top of the Old Post Office for fantastic views of the city! It was fun to spot the rooftop pools and gardens.

Our next stop was
Paul, a bakery chain from France that just opened up in D.C. I really felt like I was back in Paris. Everything we tried was heavenly. And we tried a lot. And I want to go back for more. We ate our French goodies in the
Sculpture Garden at the National Gallery of Art and cooled our feet off in the fountain.
The workers at Paul convinced me (okay, it didn't take much) to try their chocolate beignets (basically a fancy French word for donut). Imagine Elsa's excitement when we discovered that the chocolate was actually nutella! I had to fight her to get some bites of it and I don't blame her for not wanting to share. It was divine. We also tried a beignut with red fruit filling. SO good.
Amelia has been carrying around a journal and writing and drawing about the places we go.
See? Paris.
the view from the post office tower is the best kept secret in dc! rob still hasn't been up there... we need to get around to it.
ReplyDeleteThis looks like a perfect day, Sarah!! I am also very, VERY excited to see that Paul have opened up in the US. I would go there all the time when I lived in London.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to start an adventure journal called, "Doing everything that Sarah does and eating everything that Sarah eats." Hello! I haven't been to the Old Post Office since before the baby babes. I need some Paul treats RIGHT NOW!
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to the Old Post Office, and actually I haven't been to the top of the washington monument either-- not really up for the sweaty claustrophobia.
ReplyDeleteThis kind of sounds like a perfect outing-- I may replicate it quite soon.
What a fun day! Amelia looks so grown up all of the sudden, maybe it's the hair and the journaling. Seeing Elsa with that beignet makes me smile, gotta love that little girl!
ReplyDeletePlus, you get to actually see the washington monument.
ReplyDeleteYou inspire me to take more Saturday outings.
We went to the Old Post Office Tower and never did wait in line at the Washington Monument. Someone told us about it and we loved the view!
ReplyDelete