Sunday, April 1, 2012

date night: liquid architecture

The weather was so lovely last Friday. After spending the morning at the Tidal Basin and the afternoon at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens, I wanted to enjoy the evening outside too. Ben and I went into D.C. and picked up delicious sandwiches at Taylor Gourmet and then ate them at the Capitol reflecting pool.

We walked down to the Hirshhorn Museum to see the new exhibit by Doug Aitken. And wow. This exhibit is amazing. I highly recommend it. The entire facade of the Hirshhorn is illuminated with images that have been seamlessly blended. The technical aspects alone are pretty amazing. The exhibit centers around the song "I Only Have Eyes for You" and it creates this really ethereal feel as you can hear the music echo through the streets. We slowly walked around the museum to get the different effects from different vantage points. The trees cast some incredible shadows. The most interesting part is seeing the interaction between the art and the environment. It was 11:00 at night and this area would normally be completely dead. But there were so many people, all kinds of people, slowly circling the museum or just laying on the grass taking it all in.

Just go see it.



Turkey, prosciutto, pesto, and fresh mozzarella. And it was awesome.







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...