Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Machu Picchu and the impossible task of limiting my photo selection.

The buses to Machu Picchu start leaving Aguas Calientes at 5:30 a.m. The lines start forming long before then but luckily our guide saved us a spot so we only had to show up a few minutes before 5:30 and we were on one of the first buses up the mountain. It was a fairly short ride up a very winding road with lots of switchbacks. We made our way onto the complex and I was completely blown away. Definitely lived up to the hype. The surrounding mountains were breathtaking and it was SO green. I couldn't stop taking pictures in every direction I turned. And the light changed throughout the morning creating amazing sun rays through the mountains. The weather turned out to be perfect. Just a few days before and the days after it was so cloudy that you couldn't see Machu Picchu at all. We spent a few hours hiking around with our tour guide. It was bigger than I had imagined and amazing to think of people building all of this so high up in the mountains, so long ago.














































Resting before the big hike...more on that in the next post.

3 comments:

  1. These pictures are seriously amazing. Definitely a place I want to go. I'm so happy for you that you got to take such an incredible trip! And without kids! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!!! Completely amazing. I cannot believe the people built like that so long ago. Seriously amazing. I want to go there someday. I can understand the picture dilemma. I want to know how many memory cards you took on your trip. I would have needed a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning. Absolutely stunning. How can a mountain so high be THAT green??? Utah is my only point of reference and I'm blow away. Don't bother editing--throw all the photos online. I'd love to see them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...