Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Congressional Dog Park



Our Sunday afternoon excursion was to the Congressional Cemetery in D.C. near the Anacostia River. Thousands of individuals who helped form the nation and the city of Washington in the early 19th century are buried here. Old cemeteries are so neat. But this one involves a little twist. Dogs. And lots of them. In fact, we were the only people at the cemetery without a dog.

Apparently the cemetery had fallen into great disrepair so dog owners in the community got together and in exchange for volunteering their time to fix up the grounds and paying an annual fee to help support the cemetery, they get to use it as a dog park.

I'm sure all the dead Senators and Congressmen are delighted to have dogs pooping on their graves. But I'm sure it looks nicer now than it did. And Amelia and Elsa were absolutely thrilled with all the dogs. And I mean there were a LOT of dogs. I think they might equate cemeteries with dogs now.








(John Philip Sousa's grave...commence marching)

BLOSSOMS!!








Since I was busy with my new camera, Amelia insisted on carrying the Diana Mini around and taking photos. She was very happy to be ordering me around for photos.





3 comments:

  1. Very cool. Love your pictures. You look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks for posting some pics of the blossoms! I've been wanting to see some. I have been thinking about how they were probably in bloom right now...how I miss DC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place looks beautiful. And I didn't even see a single dog in any of your pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...