I made Ben pose in front of his office (The World Bank).
An interesting mix of architecture across the street.
Founding Farmers is a LEED certified "green" restaurant that serves farm-inspired American food. It has some very cool design elements throughout the restaurant from the furniture to the silverware.
(As you can see, we nearly had the place to ourselves at first...early dinners are nice that way.)
Some friends had strongly recommended the southern fried chicken and waffles, describing the waffles as being "clouds put in a waffle iron." So I ordered it and when I stuck my fork in the waffle, they were completely hard. I could hardly cut through them and it hurt to eat them. I was pretty sure it was the exact opposite of the cloud description. So I asked the waiter if they were usually so crunchy and he immediately brought me some freshly made waffles (I scored an entire plate of them). Apparently, they had given me some older ones leftover from the lunch service. But the fresh waffles were FABULOUS. Slightly crunchy on the outside and definitely cloud-like on the inside. The meal also came with the best macaroni and cheese ever, delicious chicken, and some brown sugar carrots. Ben got the meatloaf which was also good.
Dessert was equally fabulous. Freshly fried donut holes with three different dipping sauces. We devoured these way too quickly.
The view out the window at our table...the sun was casting some cool shadows on this church.
After stuffing ourselves, we walked to Utrecht where I bought supplies for my next screen printing adventure. It was so nice to walk around without being bundled up.
What adventures you have! You must work out like a maniac to keep so slim & trim with all the delicious food you enjoy! I want to come to DC & visit just so you'll take us to some of these places!
ReplyDeleteBut if you come to DC, you'll realize that I'm the exact opposite of slim and trim and definitely don't exercise enough to compensate for my love of good food! But come anyway. We love visitors!!
ReplyDeletewe've been trying to go to founding farmers forever and it's always too long of a wait for us! but i love me some good chicken and waffles. we'll have to go soon.
ReplyDeleteand the mexican embassy always makes me laugh too. my friend clark used to say it was "both modern and charming, just like the country."