So what is the point of storing things in the attic for the reason "I may need them later" when later comes and I can't find them? Ben kept trying to tell me that the attic was not a bottomless pit and it was reaching capacity. So despite the 120 degree temperature up there, I decided it was time to face the reality of what I had actually been tossing up there over the past few years.
Phase 1:

The attic (half of it). The living room.
Phase 2:

The attic. The living room.
Phase 3:

The garbage. The new and improved attic.
It felt so nice to not only get rid of a ton of stuff, but to also get rid of all the random boxes and fit most things neatly into 27 plastic bins. Everything was well labeled and the contents were thoroughly documented on a spreadsheet. It actually turned out to be a fun project as we sorted through old memorabilia. My family knows how much I like to start collections (remember the antique typewriter collection?) and Amelia caught a glimpse of my massive Pez dispenser collection, Gumby collection and vintage coat collection. I finally decided it was time to part with some of the many shoes I had been storing. I got rid of about 20 pairs but had to keep a few just in case they are "retro cool" some day. Also, you can learn a lot about your spouse by going through their old financial records to sort out documents for the paper shredder. Who knew Ben had received so many traffic tickets??
sarsh....
ReplyDeletetell me you didn't get rid of the typewriters. i wish i would have been there to go through all those boxes with you. it's one of my favorite activities. it's also a shame we don't have the same shoe size.
Wow, what ambition. I have a hard time going through old stuff, things I totally forget that I own but that once I rediscover them remember why I can't get junk them. It must have felt so good to do some purging.
ReplyDeleteSo did the pez dispensers survive?
tomorrow you are going to need one of the things you threw out.
ReplyDeletePlease come to my house & help me. Things were really good about the time Porter was born, but alas, we're getting over-stocked again.
ReplyDeleteWant to add Great Grandpa's typewriter to the collection? I think I still have it somewhere...probably in the dungeon...some have attics, some have dungeons.
ReplyDeleteWe have been de-junking ourselves! It feels great. Except we are getting rid of stuff to fit all the new stuff we have acquired from Corey's family. Ugh! We can't win.
ReplyDelete