Oliver loves the piano. Pounding the keys can keep him busy for a long time. We started putting him in his high chair in front of the piano while we make dinner. Although he prefers to be on the bench so he can play with his knees too. And I'm pretty sure he knows how to read music (see video below).
After talking about it for the last two years, I finally started giving Amelia piano lessons. She doesn't usually respond very well to anything we try and teach her (with the exception of riding a bike) so I kept putting off the piano lessons. I know we'll eventually have to pay for a different teacher, but I thought I could at least start her out. Our first lesson went more terribly than I had imagined (tears, frustration, etc). She has a hard time accepting that she can't do something perfectly the first time. But I didn't give up. With some helpful advice from my mom (my first piano teacher), our second lesson went much better. She is really excited about playing the piano now and stops to play through the songs she's learning almost every time she walks by the piano.
Elsa requests a short piano lesson after Amelia each week.
I like how he pauses to 'read' the music. He's a natural.
ReplyDelete