I guess I'm old. I always wondered when I would finally stop going to concerts. I can't say definitively that the time has come, but my desire to stand for hours in a smoky sweaty venue to hear live music has drastically declined over the last few years. When I was in high school, I was present at nearly every show that came through town. Which was surprisingly a lot considering that this was Green Bay, Wisconsin, which turned out to be a hot bed of punk rock activity for midwest bands and others (we're talking Fugazi, Jawbox, Jawbreaker, etc.). My concert attendance continued while I was at school in Minneapolis, although my tastes became a little more discerning. Even when I moved to Logan, I went out of my way to find good shows in Salt Lake. I even met Ben at a Strokes concert, so I knew that was a good match. While I kept up with new music and purchasing new CDs, I started to hesitate forking out money for shows. Ten years ago, I would have gone crazy with all the possibilities for good shows here in D.C. But so far, Ben and I have only managed to see a few that I can remember. We saw Low at the 9:30 club, but I remember leaving during the encore because I was tired (in my defense, I was pregnant with Amelia). More recently we saw one of my favorites, Mates of State, at the State Theater, which turned out to be ideal because we snagged a table in the back, enjoyed some food, and remained seated during most of the show. I would have mocked myself for that years ago. Then there was the failed attempt to see Sufjan Stevens, when we realized too late that D.C. probably has a lot of cool kids who would want to see such a performance (or at least charge exorbitant prices on Craigslist for tickets that were free to begin with). Which brings me to this evening. A Minneapolis-based band, Tapes 'n Tapes, were playing tonight. My first thought: that could be a fun show. My second thought: that could be a lot of standing. My third thought: that sounds painful on my feet and back (again, pregnancy defense). My fourth thought: Am I still cool enough to show up at one of these? Am I too old? Will I be the only one there with a mortgage and a 401K and a costco membership and a babysitter at home? My last thought: Maybe I'll stay home and download their new album and enjoy it from the comfort of my living room, seated, feet up, with a fudgesicle in hand (pregnancy defense).
So in honor of good music, which continues to live on in our home (and our car...we love xm satellite radio...my proudest accomplishment as a mother is that I've never played kids music in my car), here is a video of a Tapes 'n Tapes song, which you too can enjoy with your feet up.
I was never even cool enough to go to concerts . . .
ReplyDeletePregnant moms with their feet up downloading and listening to
ReplyDeleteTapes 'n Tapes while enjoying a fudgesicle are much cooler than sweaty, smoky, beer-spilling, ear-splitting, often foul-mouthed crowds.
You got to see Fugazi in Green Bay? I'm jealous.
Just so you don't feel too bad, the current mix of CD's in my car changer include High School Musical 2, Naked Brothers Band and Hannah Montana. Yep, my cool is dead and burried.
sarsh,
ReplyDeleteyou will always be my coolest friend and let me tell you i have some pretty "cool" friends. for example, amelia and i almost have matching shoes. you still introduce me to new music. and lets not forget you're pregnant with a handful of wonderfulness already.
now, no one can shake an uncool stick at that.
Hey Sarah- this is your old cuz Jaime. Brooke got me in touch so I could see all the fun things you guys do. Wow!
ReplyDeleteI would like to thank you for some great new (to me)tunes. As a busy new mom I have sadly lost much insight into the world of good music so it's good to know people who know good music.
& no shame in puttin' those feet up & staying home. I bet they don't even have fudgesicles at most concerts. & if they do they're probably $12.
Sarah... Ben and I talk about this all the time and I will tell you what I tell him. LIVE YOUR LIFE! Live it how you feel... you are not trying to be younger than you are, you are a totally legit mom and sometimes that means going to a concert or two! ROCK ON!
ReplyDeleteSarah...You crack me up! Good thing you are still hip enough to show up at a concert like this. The pregnancy thing might draw some looks though. ;) Miss you.
ReplyDelete