We found the trail head and the kids found their walking sticks. We immediately noticed the beautiful trillium lining the trail and covering the forest floor. There were many other flowers as well and a lot of butterflies. (And no mosquitoes!) I love the fresh green at this time of year.
We hadn't made it very far on the trail when we spotted a millipede. The kids reacted with so much excitement. We soon discovered that the trail was full of millipedes. I never thought I could be so grateful for millipedes. As it turns out, they are an excellent motivator for hiking. Elsa in particular yelled with excitement every time she found another millipede. Which was often. Oliver enjoyed his time in the backpack but was eager to explore freely when we finished the hike. It was so satisfying to see the kids having fun experiencing nature. And I know what you're thinking. Shouldn't Amelia be in school? Meh.
| millipede examination. |
We came across this one, lone lady slipper orchid on the side of the trail. It seemed like such a magical find.
| Throwing gravel in the parking lot was a great source of pleasure. |
Beautiful! Best day ever! I enjoyed seeing your perspective and angles from the day. Let's find more hikes like this!
ReplyDeleteSarah!!! I LOVE this post!!! FABtastic photos!! You guys are living the life! kimi
ReplyDeleteThanks Kimi! Life is pretty good.
Delete