Tuesday, May 1, 2012

saturday outing: hirshhorn sculpture garden

A few Saturdays ago we made the most of our day together. Ben had been working long hours to get ready for the hospital opening at Johns Hopkins (gone by 5 a.m. and home after 10 p.m. every night). And unfortunately he's still working long hours, essentially on-call for all of their crazy surgeries in case anything goes wrong with his operating rooms. So far they're off to a good start.

We started at the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden. The new installation of Ai Weiwei's "Circle of Animals/Zodiac Heads" was definitely a favorite. Amelia is really into the signs of the Chinese zodiac so she had everyone pose with their appropriate animal (and it should be noted that she is not happy about being the year of the rooster).

The girls were fascinated with all of the sculptures in the garden and would run with excitement from one sculpture to the next. It was interesting to hear their interpretations and questions (why doesn't he have a head? what happened to his arms? what IS that?).




Ben and Oliver share the tiger.



I don't think the bird was an original element of the art.








7 comments:

  1. How skinny are you? Looking GREAT. Tell Amelia the rooster is my FAVORITE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it must have been very flattering glass! I thought the rooster was pretty cool too.

      Delete
    2. I was going to say the same thing!!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Kami! As the blog author and photographer, I get to make sure only the more flattering pictures are used :)

      Delete
  3. looking AWESOME in skinny jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I should take more photos of reflections in glass. They seem to be the most flattering!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...