Sewing machines come with a certain intimidation factor. I have to admit that for nearly a year, I sewed everything with purple thread because I was afraid to change the bobbin or thread my machine, fearing that it would never work again if I touched anything. In the past, my sewing machine would only come out of the closet when my mom was in town. So during her latest visit a few weeks ago, I was prepared with a few patterns and lots of material. I had an apron pattern that had been sitting on the shelf for months, staring me down with its pretentious "anyone can make this" attitude. I knew I could attempt it with the assistance of my mom. She gave me lots of tips and explained the basics of following a pattern. After she left, I was an expert at threading my machine, winding a bobbin, changing a bobbin, and now realize that it's actually quite easy. Of course, I am also an expert at picking out incorrect stitches.

It's reversible!
A friend gave me an easy skirt pattern and I tackled this project by myself and discovered that sewing can even be a little rewarding, and addictive. I've made 5 skirts so far, which is good since Amelia refuses to wear pants. She models a few...
When I break out my sewing machine and crafting supplies, I go crazy. Partly because I have nowhere to set up shop permanently so the dining room turns into a crazy mess and I want to get as much done while everything is out. So in addition to the sewing, I experimented with some custom freezer paper stencils. My
brother and his wife made us fantastic shirts last year using this method and I wanted to try it out for myself. I went a little crazy with this as well, attempting to spruce up any fabric in sight.
The result:
I couldn't resist combining the two...I stenciled some plain fabric and then made a skirt with it.
Seriously, everything is adorable! I wish you lived closer so we could just sew/craft together. It's hard to find people that like that kind of stuff.
ReplyDeleteYou are seriously so talented. My sister and I just launched a fun new website. I'd love to spotlight you sometime:) Thanks for all your great ideas at Super Sat.
ReplyDeleteWow! That's better than anything we came up with. I knew once you got going with the stencils there'd be no stopping you.
ReplyDeleteOnce again, you show us how amazing you are Sarah!!
ReplyDeleteWow. Just wow.
ReplyDeleteYeah, you could totally help me out with my doll mattress cover...totally.
:-)
The skirts are awesome! And I can't wait to try out the stencil thing. I've got plans already!
ReplyDeleteHello! Etsy calling!
ReplyDeleteSOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I need to get your mom to come stay with me for a couple of days. My sewing machine is gathering dust & I really want to get going on some of the patterns I've been collecting. I've been going crazy on the freezer paper stenciling as Kate & I have a booth in an upcoming fair. My basement is a mess. Now if I could just add some cute sewing skills like yours... REally, so, so cute!! And I LOVE that Amelia only wears skirts- oh & adorable little leg-warmers!
ReplyDeleteSoo cuute! I love it all-the apron, the skirts, the shirts/pillows!
ReplyDeleteCan you seriously start a crafting class so others can attempt to be as crafty and cute as you. I don't think it's possible though. :) I was just saying to myself...what a boring mom I am! Now I know who to turn to for ideas. :) Miss you guys.
ReplyDelete