Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Bonsai!

We finally made it to the National Arboretum on Sunday afternoon. This place was much bigger than I realized and we hardly covered a small area. We need to take our bikes back there to really explore the whole place.

One of the highlights was the Bonsai Museum. It's impossible to hear the word bonsai and not immediately think of Mr. Miyagi, which explains why "Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera was going through my head the whole time. The display of bonsais was huge and quite remarkable. We also happened to be there on the day of a flower competition which was really interesting. There was a room full of individual Camellia flowers representing over one hundred different types of Camellia.






This bonsai tree has been in training since 1625!










These columns used to be at the US Capitol


This is Amelia, moments before she sat in dog poop.




Crazy flower arrangements in the Chinese Pavillion

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I'm going to be singing "Glory of Love" all day. Love Amelia's shades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool place! I love the photos as always!

    A word about bonsais. First, I am with Rachel.... thanks for getting that song stuck in my head! Jason and I reeeeaaaallllyyyyy like Bonsai trees (and the Karate Kid. ha ha just kidding.), and so I bought him 2 for our anniversary last fall. One was 9 years old (the # of years we had been married), and a 2-year old tree that he could train himself. Sounds very thoughtful and cool, right?? Well, here is a tip: don't ever give Bonsai trees for anniversary gifts, because they are a LOT of work, almost like a pet. Also, if you kill them within a few shorts weeks, as we did, it just seems like a bad omen for your marriage.

    That was a long story. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...