Thursday, September 22, 2011

bedroom update. or, how one thing lead to another...

Several months ago we realized we needed to put some shelves up by Amelia's bed so she could store her books for reading at night. And somehow hanging shelves took a few months.

Before we could hang shelves, I had to repaint the whole wall. When we moved the bunk beds there a year ago, we removed some big shelves from the wall and there was some serious paint damage that we never fixed. So I painted the wall.

Then it took a few weeks to decide on shelves. We thought about making some out of an old pallet since I had seen several tutorials for that. But that didn't really fit the style of the room. Then I saw a quick IKEA solution on Pinterest a few months ago and immediately ran to IKEA and picked up $4 spice racks to use as book shelves.

Then the spice racks sat in our house for several weeks. I finally decided to paint them white, but that meant I should probably paint the bed white too (something I had always meant to do). So, multiple coats of paint later, the bed and shelves were white. (See the before here, although I photoshopped out the yucky wall.)

And I figured as long as I was painting things, I would repaint the table and chairs since they had been destroyed by marker and crayon (see the before here). Ben suggested making the top of the table a chalkboard since the kids write on it anyway. And I already had chalkboard spray paint laying around. And I figured as long as I had the chalkboard paint out, I would use it to add "labels" to some mini drawers that we finally hung up.

And I updated Elsa's bedding.

And that is how a project as simple as hanging shelves can take me months.















8 comments:

  1. I love it! You are so creative. I need you to come organize me. I love the spice rack idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out great, love the chalkboard table top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed by the room and that you were able to get the spice shelves at ikea. I have tried twice now and they are always out of stock. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny Tricia! I guess word has gotten around about the versatility of the spice rack! It probably helped that I bought mine a few months ago. Wish I had known...I just returned 3 that I didn't use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never cease to amaze me. And I want to hire you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, Sarah. Once again....you amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It takes you so long because you are just so darn creative. I love it. I had heard about the spice racks turned into book shelves from a friend, so I loved to see how it turned out in the girl's room! Once this baby gets here we are getting bunk beds for the boys.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...