Wednesday, February 1, 2012

glen echo park

I don't know if we can ever leave the D.C area. We've lived here for almost 8 years and try to get out and explore as much as we can. But I swear we've only scratched the surface. I love it!

Last Saturday we spent the afternoon exploring Glen Echo Park in Maryland. The history of this park is super interesting. As you walk around you can imagine how it would have been 50 or 60 years ago. From the website: 

"Glen Echo Park began in 1891 as a National Chautauqua Assembly, which taught the sciences, arts, languages, and literature. By the early 1900s Glen Echo Park had become the premier amusement park serving the Washington area until 1968. In 1971, the National Park Service began managing the park and collaborated with artists and arts organizations to create a rich arts program in the spirit of the original Chautauqua movement. Today, the park is host to many resident arts and cultural organizations, artist studios, a thriving social dance program, a restored carousel, and numerous classes in visual and performing arts."

They had a fun childrens area which the kids enjoyed and Ben and I liked wandering around the park and reading about the history. I would love to take the kids to one of the shows at the Children's Theater or the Puppet Theater.

The Clara Barton National Historic Site is right next to the park. I did a huge presentation on Clara Barton for a history fair when I was a kid. The house was already closed for tours but I walked around the grounds for a few minutes.


 













Clara Barton house





1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...